The Bourne Legacy 2012

It’s no secret that the Bourne Trilogy is my favourite movie series so far.  Probably about 63% because of the car chases, man hunts, and phonebook fight scenes and 37% because Jason Bourne is my imaginary boyfriend.  The acting is fantastic (and not just by Matt Damon, but the entire cast), the action is thrilling, and the storyline is interesting – while not completely probable, it’s believable, which is good enough for me.   I haven’t read the book series by Robert Ludlum, but I feel like now I don’t need to because I’d forever compare them to the movies that I love so much.
the bourne legacy The Bourne Legacy – No Information But I Still Don’t Like It

A fourth novel, by Eric Van Lustbader based on the original stories, will now join the first three as a part of the series.  Or not.  Details are so unclear right now, but Tony Gilroy, the director and screenwriter, has noted that this will be “a stand-alone project.”
“The easiest way to think of it is an expansion or a reveal,” Gilroy added. “Jason Bourne will not be in this film, but he’s very much alive. What happened in the first three films is the trigger for what happens. I’m building a legend and an environment and a wider conspiracy… the world we’re making enhances and advances and invites Jason Bourne’s return [down the road].”
So…what I’m hearing here is Matt Damon will not be in this movie.  I’m not so sure I’m cool with this.  You can’t have Indiana Jones without Harrison Ford.  Back To The Future without Michael J. Fox would have been all wrong.  And I don’t think we’ll see a Pirates Of The Caribbean without Johnny Depp.  It would all be so weird.  I feel the same way about the Bourne movies.  Matt Damon is Jason Bourne, and while we’ve been promised Matt isn’t being replaced, that this movie will have a whole new hero, it’s still called The Bourne Legacy.
matt damon jason bourne 525x326 The Bourne Legacy – No Information But I Still Don’t Like It
I think I might be jumping the gun on my judging judginess.  It may turn out to be a very good addition to the series.  I don’t know.  Like I said, I don’t have the advantage of reading the Van Lustbader book, but I do know that Jason Bourne is actually in it.  Matt Damon has said he won’t return as Jason Bourne without the series’ original director, Paul Greengrass.  And so without Mr. Greengrass OR Matt Damon OR the lead character in the novel from which the movie will be based, what’s left?  Do we have a Bourne movie or not?
jason bourne 525x262 The Bourne Legacy – No Information But I Still Don’t Like It

Here’s what I do know about the movie:
Release Date: August 3, 2012
Studio: Universal Pictures
Director: Tony Gilroy
Screenwriter: Tony Gilroy
Starring: Not Available
Genre: Action, Adventure, Thriller
MPAA Rating: Not Available
Official Website: Not Available
Review: Not Available
Movie Poster: Not Available
Production Stills: Not Available
So, really nothing.  A release date, but other than that, I know nothing.  Universal Pictures knows nothing.  No one knows anything, but I still don’t like it.  I do, however, challenge Mr. Gilroy to prove me wrong.  Prove to me that we don’t need Jason Bourne in a Bourne movie.  I’ll still watch it, if only to tsk tsk and say I told you so.
Do we need Matt?  Do we need Jason?  I mean, I do, but does the series need Bourne to remain Bournesque?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...